What's new

What do you think of forum software prices?

rehaM

Admin
What do you think of the current price of forum software?

Here are a few prices for some of the more common software

XenForo: $160 (self-hosted) with $55 extension
Invision Community: $150 (self-hosted) with $40 renewal
vBulletin: $249

I think XenForo is somewhat reasonably priced. I do remember when it used to only cost $140 in the past and was actually surprised to see they raised it to $160 when I purchased this license.

For how simple it is to use the software and how much works get put into creating/updating it, $160 is a good price to have access to the software forever (granted you must renew to receive new updates and support)

As for vBulletin, I would not use that software for a forum like this. I consider that forum software to be targeted more towards businesses

It's important to point out that Invision is $40 every 6 months, so it's $80/yr just for the forum. More if you have any add-ons such as Blogs & Gallery.

I like Xenforo and think it's a good price, I wouldn't pay more than what it already is though

It's important to point out that Invision is $40 every 6 months, so it's $80/yr just for the forum. More if you have any add-ons such as Blogs & Gallery.

Thanks for pointing that out, that's a lot just for renewal. At least renewals are not required, only if you want to receive support and get the latest updates

I would always love to see them cheaper, but that is with everything. Overall, I don't really have much of an issue with any of the prices as all are well under $500 a year and that isn't bad for any hobby/business cost.

I think they're competitive, but I always preferred Xenforo to IPB. I think XF is still the cheaper of the two options too if I'm not mistaken. If you can't afford to pay for forum software though, there is nothing wrong with using free/open source software such as MyBB or phpBB.

I think they are quite fair, honestly. Very competitive pricing IMO. I think XenForo is is way better than IPB is nowadays IMO.

Create an account or login to post

You must be a member in order to post

Create an account

Create an account to join our society. It's quick and easy!

Already a society member? Log in here.

Top Bottom