What's new

4-day work week - Why or why not?

I don't think private companies going to comply with 3 day weekends. They will deduct one day salary every week plus working on Friday with petty excuse that client requires you to work.

I don't think private companies going to comply with 3 day weekends. They will deduct one day salary every week plus working on Friday with petty excuse that client requires you to work.

The 4-day work week is actually being tested by several companies in the U.S. and I believe the U.K.

As far as I know, without having done actual research, they would require 10 hour shifts instead of 8, making the total hours worked equal to 40 as a regular 5 day week is currently

When I worked, I would have preferred to have 3 days off. Working 2 more hours wasn't a big deal. Awhile back, my husband worked 4 days a week & while it made for longer days, it was nice having that Friday off to go to stores earlier, garage sales, even having a doctor's appointment.

Don't know much about the consequences of a 4 day week, but a bit related: studies in Norway have shown that people working 6 hour days are as or more efficient as those working 8 hour days, getting the same amount of or more work done during the day.

I am all for the 4-day weeks if I am honest but I do not see it ever becoming a possibility for all if I am honest mainly due to the fact that many companies will not comply with a 3-day weekend. I know here in the UK some companies do not even allow a 3-day weekend when there is a bank holiday so in which case having it be a regular thing would definitely be a no go.

Do I feel a 4-day week would be better for people in terms of rest and not feeling of burned out? Yes, definitely. Unfortunately, companies will look at it from a money perspective over the health of their employees.

I am all for the 4-day weeks if I am honest but I do not see it ever becoming a possibility for all if I am honest mainly due to the fact that many companies will not comply with a 3-day weekend. I know here in the UK some companies do not even allow a 3-day weekend when there is a bank holiday so in which case having it be a regular thing would definitely be a no go.

Do I feel a 4-day week would be better for people in terms of rest and not feeling of burned out? Yes, definitely. Unfortunately, companies will look at it from a money perspective over the health of their employees.

Agreed with you. I am all for this and I'd love for it to become the norm. I think it'd be best for all people involved. I agree it'd help with burn out and allowing people to rest.

What would I do in the remaining 3 days? Since I work every day, including weekends and holidays, I am not in a favor of 4 days of work days. Working is not just about earning livelihood, it is also about becoming mentally and physically fit.

I never really had a standard work schedule and always worked rotating 12s over a 2 or 4-week period. But I am currently in training for something that is 10-hour shifts Mon-Thur and it is really nice. Granted I go back to a monthly schedule afterward, but I will admit that 4 day weeks are really nice.

I'd say that depend on what kind of work you do. Like for my job that would be pretty much being always late on projects, we're almost always late anyway due to the suppliers or stuff like that and delivery bla bla, so I don't think that could work for construction work but I know a couple people near me that work 4 days a week at the office and they take friday for working from home.

Create an account or login to post

You must be a member in order to post

Create an account

Create an account to join our society. It's quick and easy!

Already a society member? Log in here.

Top Bottom