What's new

Bootcamps vs Degrees?

rehaM

Admin
A degree in IT, Information Systems, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, etc. are in high demand. Do you believe it's more beneficial, taking into consideration cost and time, to obtain a degree in one of the subjects above or to take a bootcamp online/in-person with an accredited university instead?

I believe bootcamps are very successful for the amount of time and low cost compared to an actual degree. Although I believe degrees would hold a major headway in comparison, bootcamps are definitely beneficial to those seeking to transition or advance their careers.

Looking for advice: Iv got a Masters Degree in Physiology with a specialization in cardiac rehab. I’m looking to branch into medical software development. I’m debating on going back for two years for a BS in CS or doing a boot camp. Both are roughly the same cost. Any recommendations on which way to go?

I always felt that boot camps and cert programs do a much better job at teaching and keeping up with the modern times. My standard classes in programming were mostly preparing me for coding used in Windows 95 and lacked any stopgaps to fill in for basically anything. However, I would also caution against avoiding a degree as so many jobs still require that piece of paper to get your interview.

Create an account or login to post

You must be a member in order to post

Create an account

Create an account to join our society. It's quick and easy!

Already a society member? Log in here.

Top Bottom